Summary Medical Specialist near Vancouver (BC)
Find key facts and figures about working as a medical specialist. The following information is applicable to all Specialist physicians (NOC 3111).
Specialists in clinical medicine diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders and act as consultants to other physicians. Specialists in laboratory medicine study the nature, cause and development of diseases in humans. Specialists in surgery perform and supervise surgical procedures. Specialists in clinical medicine usually work in private practice or in a hospital while those in laboratory medicine and in surgery usually work in hospitals. Residents in training to become specialist physicians are included in this unit group.
University education usually required
Median wage in British Columbia
The job outlook is good in the Lower Mainland–Southwest Region
advertised near Vancouver (BC)
- Diagnose and treat diseases and physiological or psychiatric disorders
- Prescribe medication and treatment and refer patients for surgery
- Order laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic procedures
- Study the nature, cause and development of diseases and the structural and functional changes caused by diseases
- Conduct microscopic and chemical analyses of laboratory samples and specimens
- Date modified: