Job requirements Electrical Mechanic in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as an electrical mechanic in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Electrical mechanics (NOC 72422).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
  • Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience and industry courses in electrical mechanics is usually required for trade certification.
  • Trade certification as an electric motor system technician is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon and Nunavut.
  • Electrical motor and equipment repairer - winding trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Quebec.
  • Electrical motor system technician (electrical utility) trade certification is available, but voluntary, in New Brunswick.
  • Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified electric motor system technicians upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.


Job title Electric Motor System Technicians

British Columbia

Job title Winder Electrician(Electric Motor System Technician)
Regulatory body: Skilled Trades BC


Job title Electrical Mechanics
Regulatory body: Apprenticeship Manitoba
Job title Generator Installer/repairer

New Brunswick

Job title Electric Motor System Technician

Nova Scotia

Job title Electric Motor System Technician


Job title Electric Motor System Technician
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: