Job requirements Food And Beverage Server in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a food and beverage server in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Food and beverage servers (NOC 6513).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school may be required.
  • Formal waiters/waitresses may require completion of a one- or two-year apprenticeship program or College or vocational school courses.
  • Apprenticeship training programs for food and beverage servers are available in Saskatchewan and British Columbia. Trade certification is available but voluntary in those provinces.
  • On-the-job training is usually provided.
  • Wine stewards may require courses in wine selection and service or Experience as a captain waiter/waitress or formal waiter/waitress.
  • Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for employees serving alcoholic beverages.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Food And Beverage Server Regulated Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission
British Columbia Server (licensed Liquor Establishment) Regulated Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, Government of British Columbia
Manitoba Food And Beverage Servers Regulated Manitoba Tourism Education Council
Québec Food And Beverage Server Regulated Emploi Québec
Saskatchewan Food And Beverage Person Regulated Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: