Job requirements Ultrasonic Technician - Non-destructive Testing near Edmonton (AB)
Find out what you typically need to work as an ultrasonic technician - non-destructive testing near Edmonton (AB). These requirements are applicable to all Non-destructive testers and inspection technicians (NOC 2261).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of two years of an approved post-secondary science or engineering program may be required.
- Additional classroom and on-the-job training is required for certification in non-destructive testing.
- Non-destructive testing certification by Natural Resources Canada is available in three levels and is usually required by employers.
- Industrial radiographers using a radioactive isotope must pass an examination to be recognized as a certified exposure device operator by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission.
- Welding inspector certification by the Canadian Welding Bureau is available in three levels and may be required by employers.
- Boiler and pressure vessel, process pipeline and above-ground storage tank inspector certification is available from the American Petroleum Institute.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: