Job requirements Counsellor For Persons Who Are Intellectually Impaired in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a counsellor for persons who are intellectually impaired in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Family, marriage and other related counsellors (NOC 4153).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • A master's degree in the field of counselling, mental health or a related social service discipline is usually required.
  • In Quebec, a master's degree in psychoeducation is required to practise as a psycho-educator.
  • An undergraduate degree or college diploma in a social science is required for certain areas of counselling.
  • Membership with a provincial association for marriage and family therapists or clinical counsellors is required to use the title "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor", and in Quebec, to use the title "marriage and family therapist (MFT)", "family therapist (FT)" or "marriage therapist (MT)". Membership with a provincial association may be required by some employers.
  • In Quebec, membership in the professional association is mandatory for counsellors and psychoeducators.
  • Registered marriage and family therapists and registered clinical counsellors must meet strict criteria involving post-graduate education and a period of supervised clinical work with clients.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Nova Scotia Counselling Therapist Regulated Nova Scotia College of Counselling Therapists
Québec Marital And Family Therapist Regulated Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familliaux du Québec
Psycho-educator Regulated Ordre des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec
Sexologist Regulated Ordre professionnel des sexologues du Québec

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: