Job requirements Arts And Crafts Leader - Sports And Recreation in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as an arts and crafts leader - sports and recreation in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness (NOC 5254).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school is usually required.
  • Completion of a college program in recreation or physical education or extensive experience in a specific recreational or sports program activity is usually required.
  • Certification is usually required in a specific area of recreational, sports or fitness activity, such as ski instructor or personal trainer, or in first aid or emergency care.
  • Demonstrated ability in a particular recreational, sports or fitness discipline is required.
  • Fitness appraiser certification may be required for fitness appraisers.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
British Columbia Lifeguard Regulated Lifesaving Society BC & Yukon Branch
Manitoba Lifeguard Regulated Public Health, Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living, Government of Manitoba
Québec Diving Instructor Regulated Fédération Québécoise des activités subaquatiques
Saskatchewan Lifeguard Regulated Ministry of Health, Saskatchewan

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: