Job outlook Harvest Hand near Windsor (ON)
Job opportunities for Harvesting labourers (NOC 8611) are limited near Windsor (ON) over the next 3 years. This job outlook is also applicable to people working as a harvest hand.
Job opportunities near Windsor (ON)
The employment outlook will be limited for Harvesting labourers (NOC 8611) in the Windsor - Sarnia region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities may vary depending on the time of the year.
The Windsor–Sarnia region forms part of the agricultural heartland in southern Ontario and accounts for about 12.0% of all farms and about 12.0% of all greenhouses, nurseries, and floriculture producers in the province. Windsor–Sarnia has the highest concentration of these workers in Ontario. The region is in the southernmost part of Ontario and has a longer growing season. The Chatham-Kent, Lambton and Essex areas all have a significant number of farms with Chatham-Kent having one of the highest in the province. The number of farms increased rather sharply in Chatham-Kent and modestly in Essex between 2011 and 2016. Chatham-Kent, Lambton and Essex, employ more workers in the agricultural industry than most other places in Ontario, with Essex leading the way. Meanwhile, most of the greenhouses, nurseries, and floriculture producers in the region are in Essex with a smaller number in Chatham-Kent. Essex has the second highest number of these establishments as the centre for greenhouse crop production in the province. The Leamington and Kingsville localities in Essex County are the top growing areas for greenhouse vegetables such as tomatoes. Essex also has a fair number of nursery and tree and floriculture producers. Windsor–Sarnia will likely remain one of the key areas for greenhouses, nurseries, and floriculture production with recent announcements to expand and build facilities across the area.
Here are some key facts about Harvesting labourers in the Windsor - Sarnia region:
- Approximately 520 people work in this occupation.
- Harvesting labourers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Agriculture (NAICS 111, 112, 1151, 1152):more than 95%
Job opportunities in Ontario
Labour market conditions across Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Harvesting labourers (NOC 8611) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: