Job prospects Technical Sales Specialist - Metals in Québec
Job opportunities for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) are good in Québec over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a technical sales specialist - metals.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) in Québec for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Employers are generally looking for candidates with a university degree or a college diploma, and experience in sales or in a technical field related to the products and services sold by the business. The knowledge of computers, in-depth knowledge of the characteristics of marketed products and services, bilingualism and good communication skills are assets. Knowledge of a foreign language, as well as experience in traveling or working abroad, may be required of those seeking employment with firms that import or export technical products and goods.
Employment in this specialized occupation evolves with trends that influence wholesale trade, the information and cultural industries, as well as computer systems design. Recently, the proliferation of stores with large inventory capacity and purchases abroad via the Internet have been detrimental to job creation. However, research activities and investments in telecommunications and professional, scientific and technical services should contribute to growth, while the popularity of personal telecommunications and access to wireless networks remains high. In the medium term, consumer behavior, the volume of Québec imports and exports, as well as technological changes will continue to support the growth of this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade in Québec:
- Approximately 28,800 people work in this occupation.
- Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade mainly work in the following sectors:
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 39%
- Information and cultural industries (NAICS 51): 10%
- Computer systems design services (NAICS 5415): 9%
- Chemical manufacturing (NAICS 325): 6%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 94% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 6% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 69% of technical sales specialists - wholesale trade work all year, while 31% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 36 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 6% of technical sales specialists - wholesale trade are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||Good Good|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||Good Good|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||Good Good|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||Fair Fair|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||Good Good|
|Côte-Nord Region||Fair Fair|
|Estrie Region||Fair Fair|
|Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||Undetermined Undetermined|
|Lanaudière Region||Good Good|
|Laurentides Region||Good Good|
|Laval Region||Good Good|
|Mauricie Region||Fair Fair|
|Montréal Region||Good Good|
|Montérégie Region||Good Good|
|Nord-du-Québec Region||Fair Fair|
|Outaouais Region||Good Good|
|Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: