Job prospects Technical Sales Specialist - Metals in Prince Edward Island
Job opportunities for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) are fair in Prince Edward Island over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as a technical sales specialist - metals.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Prince Edward Island
The employment outlook will be fair for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) in Prince Edward Island for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a few new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Employment growth in this field depends upon the level of business and consumer spending which is driven by the overall economic environment. Some positions may be commission-based and geared towards meeting quotas which can cause some workers to pursue different occupations with more stability. Also, since some employers may prefer in-depth product knowledge, mobility between sub-industries can be restricted at times. Self-employment and freelance work opportunities exist for experienced workers who are established and have contacts in specific industries.
Specialists with strong product knowledge and formal education may have a more favourable outlook. As workers may be required to travel locally, employers may require a valid driver's licence. In certain fields, specialists will need to meet with clients abroad therefore a willingness to travel and knowledge of foreign languages may be assets. Those with a combination of sales experience or training and solid communication and interpersonal skills will likely have the best job prospects.
Here are some key facts about Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade in the Prince Edward Island region:
- Approximately 300 people work in this occupation.
- Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade mainly work in the following sectors:
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 46%
- Other professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 5414, 5416-5419): 20%
- Chemical manufacturing (NAICS 325): 7%
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 6%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 89% compared to 83% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 11% compared to 17% for all occupations
- 79% of technical sales specialists - wholesale trade work all year, while 21% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 28 weeks compared to 27 weeks for all occupations.
- 10% of technical sales specialists - wholesale trade are self-employed compared to an average of 11% for all occupations.
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade (NOC 6221) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: