Job prospects Software Design Engineer near Ottawa (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Software engineers and designers near Ottawa (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a software design engineer.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173) in the Ottawa region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Within this economic region, the Ottawa-Gatineau region is among the top three technology areas in Ontario. Ottawa has a growing technology cluster. This includes a strong autonomous vehicle ecosystem in the Kanata area with research facilities by large software producers and automotive manufacturers. The robust hiring intentions of several other technology companies also bode well for this occupation.
Half of the software engineers and designers in the economic region are employed by professional, scientific and technical services, mainly computer systems design firms. Generally, Ottawa is home to some of these larger design companies, as well as software publishers in Ontario.
Software engineers and designers in the province seeking employment with the federal government will likely find more of the job openings in Ottawa. Generally, some employers in this area may prefer individuals who are fluent in English and French.
Here are some key facts about Software engineers and designers in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 6,570 people work in this occupation.
- Software engineers and designers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 50%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 14%
- Information, cultural, arts, entertainment and recreation services (NAICS 51, 71): 14%
- Federal government public administration (NAICS 911): 8%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: