Job prospects Executive Assistant in Québec
Job opportunities for Executive assistants (NOC 1222) are good in Québec over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an executive assistant.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Executive assistants (NOC 1222) in Québec for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
To enter this occupation, a college diploma in office automation is usually required. An attestation of college studies in a field related to office automation or a diploma of vocational studies in secretarial work may also lead to this profession. Experience in a related administrative position is generally required, as is proficiency of the main office automation software. Moreover, bilingualism is also an asset for holding this type of position. Employers are looking for candidates with interpersonal skills such as the ability to work in a team and personal skills such as adaptation, sound judgment, rigour, analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
Since this occupation is found in most sectors of economic activity, its level of employment depends on the performance of these sectors, but also on the diversification of administrative tasks and the increased need for coordination. Thus, the current dynamism of the labour market should have a positive impact on the workforce of this profession. However, the many replacement needs resulting from retirements will be the main source of medium-term opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Executive assistants in Québec:
- Approximately 12,200 people work in this occupation.
- Executive assistants mainly work in the following sectors:
- Finance, insurance, real estate and leasing (NAICS 52, 53): 11%
- Federal government public administration (NAICS 911): 10%
- Provincial and territorial public administration (NAICS 912): 8%
- Religious, grant-making, civic, and professional and similar organizations (NAICS 813): 7%
- Universities (NAICS 6113): 5%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 94% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 6% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 69% of executive assistants work all year, while 31% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 36 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- Less than 5% of executive assistants are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
|Abitibi-Témiscamingue Region||Fair Fair|
|Bas-Saint-Laurent Region||Good Good|
|Capitale-Nationale Region||Good Good|
|Centre-du-Québec Region||Good Good|
|Chaudière-Appalaches Region||Good Good|
|Côte-Nord Region||Good Good|
|Estrie Region||Good Good|
|Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine Region||Good Good|
|Lanaudière Region||Good Good|
|Laurentides Region||Good Good|
|Laval Region||Good Good|
|Mauricie Region||Good Good|
|Montréal Region||Good Good|
|Montérégie Region||Good Good|
|Nord-du-Québec Region||Good Good|
|Outaouais Region||Fair Fair|
|Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Executive assistants (NOC 1222) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: