Job prospects Mechanical Engineering Design Technologist near Kitchener (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians near Kitchener (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a mechanical engineering design technologist.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (NOC 2232) in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Relative to some of the other areas of Ontario, a significantly higher share of mechanical engineering technologists and technicians are employed in the region's manufacturing sector, including transportation equipment and machinery production. The area is part of the manufacturing heartland and is home to the largest number of automotive manufacturing plants in the province. Recent investments should boost job creation for mechanical engineering technologists and technicians in plant as well as parts operations.
Here are some key facts about Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians in the Kitchener - Waterloo - Barrie region:
- Approximately 1,050 people work in this occupation.
- Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Motor vehicle, body, trailer and parts manufacturing (NAICS 3361-3363): 25%
- Professional, scientific and technical services (NAICS 54): 19%
- Machinery manufacturing (NAICS 333): 16%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 6%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: