Job prospects Cashier near Longueuil (QC)
Explore current and future job prospects for Cashiers near Longueuil (QC). These trends also apply to people working as a cashier.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Cashiers (NOC 6611) in the Montérégie region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Although no specific academic training is needed to enter this occupation, a high school diploma may be required by some employers However, most of them offer on-the-job training. Autonomy, the ability to work under pressure, a client-centered approach, bilingualism, as well as the ability to become familiar with the computer system in place are the assets most often sought.
The evolution of employment in this occupation depends on the factors that influence retail trade and consumption patterns. The climate of strong competition in retail favors some banners that are expanding, while it penalizes others who have to close their less profitable branches. The growth of online commerce also seems to affect the industry and transform the business environment. However, although consumers are increasingly shopping online for product and price comparisons, they still appreciate the in-store purchase, given the ease of return of merchandise in case of dissatisfaction.
Here are some key facts about Cashiers in the Montérégie region:
- Approximately 13,960 people work in this occupation.
- Cashiers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 77%
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 17%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: