Job outlook Garment Repair Seamstress in Québec
Job opportunities for Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners (NOC 6342) are fair in Québec over the next 3 years. This job outlook is also applicable to people working as a garment repair seamstress.
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be fair for Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners (NOC 6342) in Québec for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners in Québec:
- Approximately 5,500 people work in this occupation.
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners mainly work in the following sectors:
- Repair and maintenance (NAICS 811): 37%
- Clothing, leather and allied product manufacturing (NAICS 315-316): 20%
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 13%
- Personal and laundry services (NAICS 812): 8%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 75% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 25% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 49% of tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners work all year, while 51% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 34 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 33% of tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions across Canada
We expect that the labour supply and demand for Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners (NOC 6342) will be balanced in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: