Job prospects Roofer, Shingles near Toronto (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Roofers and shinglers near Toronto (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a roofer, shingles.
Note that the current 2019-2021 employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. We are working to update this information as soon as possible. In the meantime, visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation. You can also read our newly updated sectoral profiles to learn about recent developments for key economic sectors in your region.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Roofers and shinglers (NOC 7291) in the Toronto region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
There are a large number of residential, commercial, and public infrastructure developments in progress in the Toronto area. Construction is underway on the Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, the revitalization of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, and on CIBC Square. There are also several transit projects in the works throughout the Greater Toronto Area including the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit line, the Finch West Light Rail Transit line and expansions to the GO Transit network. The number of housing starts may decline especially in the low-rise market. Building activity for high-rise dwellings such as condominiums will remain strong though as builders work to complete pre-sold units. This will keep the number of units under construction in the region at heightened levels.
Here are some key facts about Roofers and shinglers in the Toronto region:
- Approximately 2,940 people work in this occupation.
- Roofers and shinglers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 38%
- Management and Administrative Services (NAICS 55-56): 15%
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 12%
- Retail Trade (NAICS 44-45): 6%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: