Job prospects Chef near Toronto (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Chefs near Toronto (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a chef.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be good for Chefs (NOC 6321) in the Toronto region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
The region is home to a large number of accommodation and eating establishments which should create opportunities for the occupation. Additionally, the dense population and significant tourism industry, which includes multiple festivals, conferences, and sporting events, should generate greater demand for both seasonal opportunities and turnover related opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Chefs in the Toronto region:
- Approximately 14,420 people work in this occupation.
- Chefs mainly work in the following sectors:
- Accommodation and food services (NAICS 72): 83%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: