Job prospects Heavy Equipment Operator Apprentice near Peterborough (ON)
Explore current and future job prospects for Heavy equipment operators (except crane) near Peterborough (ON). These trends also apply to people working as a heavy equipment operator apprentice.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Balanced labour market
The prospect of finding work in this occupation was fair over the past few years (2016-2018). The number of job openings was about the same as the number of workers available.
The employment outlook will be fair for Heavy equipment operators (except crane) (NOC 7521) in the Muskoka - Kawarthas region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- Due to the seasonal nature of this occupation, employment opportunities tend to be more favourable during the summer months.
Over the forecast period, sizeable investments in education, manufacturing, and the arts will help support the regional construction industry. Further, work to restore and repair structures along the Trent-Severn Waterway is underway and will be a big boost to the area. Housing starts will likely slow a bit in the near term. Multi-unit dwellings will see more activity than single-detached housing over the forecast period. Peterborough could see higher activity though if there is a greater migration of buyers from the Greater Toronto Area. The demand for rental units will likely remain positive supported by the aging population.
Here are some key facts about Heavy equipment operators (except crane) in the Muskoka - Kawarthas region:
- Approximately 1,540 people work in this occupation.
- Heavy equipment operators (except crane) mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 77%
- Management and Administrative Services (NAICS 55-56): 9%
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in CanadaExplore current and future job prospects elsewhere in Canada.
- Date modified: