Job prospects Transport Driver in Newfoundland and Labrador
Job opportunities for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) are fair in Newfoundland and Labrador over the next 3 years. This job outlook is also applicable to people working as a transport driver.
Job opportunities in Newfoundland and Labrador
The employment outlook will be fair for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in Newfoundland and Labrador for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment is expected to remain relatively stable.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Activity in the trucking industry tends to reflect general economic conditions. Most opportunities in this position in Newfoundland and Labrador will arise from retirements. Some long-haul trucking companies are attempting to improve conditions that have long characterized this occupation, such as reducing long periods away from home.
Here are some key facts about Transport truck drivers in the Newfoundland and Labrador region:
- Approximately 3,250 people work in this occupation.
- Transport truck drivers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Truck transportation (NAICS 484): 34%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 20%
- Wholesale trade (NAICS 41): 8%
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 6%
- Support activities for mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (NAICS 213): 5%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 84% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 16% for all occupations
- 43% of transport truck drivers work all year, while 57% work only part of the year, compared to 56% and 44% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 29 weeks compared to 26 weeks for all occupations.
- 7% of transport truck drivers are self-employed compared to an average of 6% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Newfoundland and Labrador by economic region.
|Avalon Peninsula Region||Fair Fair|
|Notre Dame-Central-Bonavista Bay Region||Limited Limited|
|South Coast–Burin Peninsula Region||Limited Limited|
|West Coast–Northern Peninsula–Labrador Region||Limited Limited|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: