Job prospects Transport Driver in Alberta
Job opportunities for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) are fair in Alberta over the next 3 years. This job outlook is also applicable to people working as a transport driver.
Job opportunities in Alberta
The employment outlook will be fair for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in Alberta for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a few new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
High demand for Alberta's oil and gas products, in the midst of pipeline capacity constraints, is increasing the industry's dependence on rail and truck services. Uber Freight has recently expanded to Canada. Demand in the sector is partially influenced by Government of Alberta mandated oil production quotas and associated exemptions, particularly for rail transport.
Here are some key facts about Transport truck drivers in the Alberta region:
- Approximately 45,700 people work in this occupation.
- Transport truck drivers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Truck transportation (NAICS 484): 53%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 9%
- Support activities for mining, oil and gas (NAICS 213): 7%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 93% compared to 81% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 7% compared to 19% for all occupations
- 55% of transport truck drivers work all year, while 45% work only part of the year, compared to 59% and 41% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
- 18% of transport truck drivers are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region||Fair Fair|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region||Fair Fair|
|Calgary Region||Good Good|
|Camrose–Drumheller Region||Fair Fair|
|Edmonton Region||Fair Fair|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region||Fair Fair|
|Red Deer Region||Fair Fair|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region||Fair Fair|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Job prospects elsewhere in Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: