Job outlook Transport Driver near Edmonton (AB)
The job outlook for a transport driver working near Edmonton (AB) is fair over the next 3 years. This outlook is applicable to all Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511).
Job opportunities near Edmonton (AB)
The employment outlook will be fair for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in the Edmonton region for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Several positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Coal production in Alberta has been in decline, largely because of the imminent closure of mines aimed at producing thermal coal for domestic use. The government mandated transition from coal-fired power generation to natural gas-fired and renewable energy sources may limit the job opportunities for this mining related occupation. That said, the Vista coal mine is now operating and shipping coal to export markets with a few new jobs on offer.
Here are some key facts about Transport truck drivers in the Edmonton region:
- Approximately 14,440 people work in this occupation.
- Transport truck drivers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 65%
- Construction (NAICS 23): 9%
Job opportunities in Alberta
Labour market conditions across Canada
We expect that there will be a labour SHORTAGE for Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) in Canada over the next 10 years.
- Date modified: