Job description General Manager - Goods Production, Utilities, Transportation And Construction near Toronto (ON)
Find out what work is like for a general manager - goods production, utilities, transportation and construction in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities (NOC 0016).
Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities
Senior managers in construction, transportation, production and utilities plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the overall operations of goods production, utility, transportation and construction companies. They formulate policies which establish the direction to be taken by these companies, either alone or in conjunction with other members of a board of directors. They work in establishments throughout the following industries: fishing, forestry, logging and agriculture; mining, oil and gas extraction; construction; transportation and warehousing; printing; manufacturing; and utilities or they may own and operate their own business.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Establish objectives for the company and formulate or approve policies and programs
- Authorize and organize the establishment of major departments and associated senior staff positions
- Allocate material, human and financial resources to implement company policies and programs; establish financial and administrative controls; formulate and approve promotional campaigns; and approve overall personnel planning
- Select middle managers, directors or other executive staff
- Co-ordinate the work of regions, divisions or departments
- Represent the company, or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the company, in negotiations or other official functions.
- Senior managers in this unit group may specialize in areas such as finance, marketing or human resources or in a particular product area.
- chief executive officer (CEO) - manufacturing company
- chief financial officer (CFO) - urban transit system
- logging company corporate controller
- executive vice-president - railway
- general manager, trucking company
- president, residential construction company
- publishing house general manager
- petroleum production company regional vice-president
- vice-president, finance - mining company
- vice-president, marketing - airline
- vice-president, operations - electric power company
- vice-president, sales - pulp and paper manufacturing
- Date modified: