Job description Taxi Dispatcher near Edmonton (AB)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "taxi dispatcher" was moved from the group Dispatchers (NOC 1525) to the group Dispatchers (NOC 14404).
Find out what work is like for a taxi dispatcher in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Dispatchers (NOC 14404).
Dispatchers operate radios and other telecommunication equipment to dispatch emergency vehicles and to coordinate the activities of drivers and other personnel. They are employed by police, fire and health departments, other emergency service agencies, taxi, delivery and courier services, trucking and utilities companies, and other commercial and industrial establishments.
- Receive requests for emergency assistance or service and contact ambulances, police and fire departments, tow-trucks, and utility crews
- Process and transmit information and instructions to coordinate the activities of vehicle operators, crews and equipment using a variety of computer-aided communications and dispatching equipment
- Dispatch personnel according to written schedules and work orders, or as required by emergency situations
- Advise vehicle operators of route and traffic problems such as construction, accidents, congestion, weather conditions, weight and size restrictions and other information
- Operate radio equipment to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations
- Monitor personnel workloads and locations
- Maintain vehicle operator work records using computerized or manual methods and ensure time sheets and payroll summaries are completed accurately
- Maintain computer and manual records of mileage, fuel use, repairs and other expenses, and generate reports.
- 911 dispatcher
- alarm system dispatcher
- ambulance dispatcher
- emergency vehicle dispatcher
- inbound/outbound freight coordinator
- mobile equipment dispatcher
- radio operator
- taxi dispatcher
- tow truck dispatcher
- truck dispatcher
- utilities maintenance crew dispatcher
- Railway traffic controllers and marine traffic regulators
- Air traffic controllers and related occupations
- Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations
- Supervisors, motor transport and other ground transit operators
- Date modified: