Job description Chef near Toronto (ON)
Chefs plan and direct food preparation and cooking activities and prepare and cook meals and specialty foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, clubs and similar establishments, and on ships.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Head chefs
- Plan and direct food preparation and cooking activities of several restaurants in an establishment, restaurant chains, hospitals or other establishments with food services
- Consult with clients regarding weddings, banquets and specialty functions
- Plan menus and ensure food meets quality standards
- Estimate food requirements and may estimate food and labour costs
- Supervise activities of sous-chefs, specialist chefs, chefs and cooks
- Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs
- Recruit and hire staff
- May prepare and cook food on a regular basis, or for special guests or functions.
- Supervise activities of specialist chefs, chefs, cooks and other kitchen workers
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and new equipment to cooking staff
- May plan menus and requisition food and kitchen supplies
- May prepare and cook meals or specialty foods.
- Chefs and specialist chefs
- Prepare and cook complete meals or specialty foods, such as pastries, sauces, soups, salads, vegetables and meat, poultry and fish dishes, and create decorative food displays for special events such as banquets
- Instruct cooks in preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food
- Create new recipes
- Supervise cooks and other kitchen staff
- May plan menus
- May requisition food and kitchen supplies.
- corporate chef
- executive chef
- head chef
- executive sous-chef
- master chef
- pastry chef
- specialist chef
- Date modified: