Job description Conservation Technician - Museums And Art Galleries near Vancouver (BC)
Find out what work is like for a conservation technician - museums and art galleries in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries (NOC 5212).
Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
Workers in technical occupations related to museums and art galleries classify and catalogue museum artifacts and gallery works of art, construct and install exhibits and displays, restore, maintain and store museum and gallery collections, frame artwork, and perform other functions in support of curatorial and conservation activities. They are employed in museums and galleries. Picture framers and taxidermists may also be employed in retail settings or may be self-employed. This unit group also includes museum and other interpreters who conduct guided tours. They are employed by art galleries, museums, parks, aquariums, zoos, interpretive centres, botanical gardens, cultural centres, nature sanctuaries, historic and heritage sites, and other locations.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Conservation and restoration technicians
- Assist in the restoration and conservation of artifacts under the direction of a conservator.
- Curatorial assistants
- Assist in the research, handling and storage of artifacts.
- Museum interpreters
- Conduct tours of museums, gallery exhibitions and historical, heritage and other sites, answer inquiries and provide information concerning exhibits or sites.
- Museum extension officers
- Assist with the planning and development of travelling exhibitions and special events.
- Museology technicians
- Protect and care for cultural artifacts and collections during exhibitions, while in transit and in storage.
- Museum registrars and cataloguers
- Classify and assign registration numbers to artifacts and supervise inventory control.
- Construct displays and dioramas, build models, install artifacts in displays and prepare artifacts for storage and shipping.
- Picture framers
- Fabricate custom frames, measure and cut mats, mat enhancements and glass, and mount paintings, photographs and other art work.
- Prepare, stuff and mount skins of animals for preservation, scientific or display purposes.
- Technical museum and gallery workers may specialize in a specific type of collection.
- restoration technician - museum
- art gallery preparator
- paintings restoration technician
- conservation technician - museums and art galleries
- picture framer - museum and art gallery
- museum extension officer
- curatorial assistant
- museum interpreter
- museum registrar
- museum technician
- museum objects cataloguer
- museology technician
- heritage interpreter
- Conservators and curators
- Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
- Tour and travel guides
- Date modified: