How do I search for jobs?
Finding a job can be challenging. However, there are many resources available to assist you with your job search.
Where to start
To find a job, you can:
- Research employers you wish to work for. Most employers have a "Careers" section on their corporate website, where job postings will be listed.
- Get professional assistance from a recruiting agency. These agencies can search for jobs of your interest on your behalf.
- Go to a job fair in your city or town. A job fair is an event where employers and job seekers meet and discuss job opportunities.
- Use job boards and career websites to get access to thousands of job opportunities. For instance, Job Bank is one of the most popular job boards in Canada that provides innovative tools to help you find a job.
Use Job Bank
Job Bank is Canada's one-stop job listing website. It's the largest online listing of bilingual job postings and one of the most popular job boards in Canada. All job postings are displayed in both official languages. Over one million new jobs are advertised on Job Bank every year, and thousands every day.
Job Bank offers a variety of tools and services that can simplify your job search:
- The Mobile App makes searching for jobs easy and convenient when you are on the go.
- Job Search allows you to browse through thousands of jobs across Canada at any time.
- Job Match matches you to current job postings that suit your experience and skills.
- Job Alerts allows you to get notified by email when new jobs are advertised.
- The Resume Builder can help you create a professional resume.
Explore the hidden job market
Another way of finding a job is through the hidden job market. Posting newspaper advertisements and creating online job postings can be costly and take time. In many cases, job vacancies are filled informally. Information about available job openings is often circulated among managers, employees, business associates, family, friends and acquaintances.
Build your network
An effective way to search for jobs in the hidden job market is through networking. Networking can be done in person and online. You can join a professional association, create a LinkedIn profile, participate in seminars or workshops, etc.
For more information about the hidden job market and building your network, we invite you to read these articles:
Note: To work in Canada, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Date modified: