Côte-Nord Region (QC)
Following labour market events is key to helping job seekers understand where the opportunities (short, medium and long-term) might be in a local community and elsewhere in the country.
The following table presents local and regional labour market events and announcements which can complement your job search and career exploration.
Week of Sep 30 - Oct 04, 2019
- Forever 21, a retailer specializing in teen fashion, announced the closure of all of its stores in Canada, including six in Quebec, mainly in the Greater Montréal and Québec City areas. The number of employees affected is unknown. (available in French only)
- The BMR hardware store in Port-Cartier announced it will be closing temporarily due to a shortage of employees. The date of the reopening has not been confirmed. (available in French only)
Week of Sep 23 - Sep 27, 2019
- The Federation of General Practitioners of Québec has confirmed a shortage of 25 family doctors in the Côte-Nord region (available in French only)
- Miniso, a discount chain, is closing almost all of its stores in Quebec. Only 4 of 13 stores will remain open (Place Alexis-Nihon, Carrefour Angrignon, Place Vertu and rue Sainte-Catherine). The number of layoffs is not known. (available in French only)
Week of Sep 09 - Sep 13, 2019
- Caroline Néron announced the closing of all six of its jewellery boutiques and one franchisee in Quebec. The date of its closing as well as the number of workers who will lose their jobs is currently unknown. (available in French only)
- Groupe Résidences des Bâtisseurs is looking for 58 medical orderlies, including about 10 in Mauricie, for its seniors residences in Quebec. The company is counting on a recruitment mission to Madagascar to help fill these positions. (available in French only)
Week of Aug 26 - Aug 30, 2019
- The Government of Quebec is investing $8.3M to enhance immigration business services in all regions. This effort includes adding 111 employees to the network and aims to foster access to programs and services. (available in French only)
- The Government of Quebec announced nearly $3.5M in additional funding earmarked for colleges in the Côte-Nord region in the 2019-2020 school year (available in French only)
- The Government of Canada has announced plans to invest nearly $2M in renovating the Polyvalente des Rivières auditorium in Forestville (available in French only)
- The Cégep de Sept-Îles is looking for applicants to fill various teaching positions. Positions are available in the computer science, industrial electronics and nursing fields, although needs exist in all sectors. (available in French only)
- The Commission scolaire de l'Estuaire (CSE) in Baie-Comeau is looking for secondary school teachers and special education support staff for institutions in its area (available in French only)
- The Government of Canada announced a $7.4M investment in a feasibility study on extending the Dolbeau-Mistassini rail line to Baie-Comeau. The initiative is expected to create 105 new jobs.
Want to find out more about local or provincial labour market history? The labour market news archive may be a good place to start.
In this section, you can browse archived news titles, whose links are no longer functional, for up to one year from the current date. The archived news can help you understand the labour market trends in geographic areas and industries that are of interest to you.
School boards in the Capitale Nationale and Chaudière-Appalaches regions are looking for 258 day-care teachers. Full- and part-time positions are available.The Société ferroviaire et portuaire de Pointe-Noire (SFPPN) announced, in partnership with the governments of Canada and Quebec, an investment of $180M to modernize its facilities in Sept-Îles. The work is scheduled to be completed in 2022.
Centre Miam Uapukun, a rehabilitation centre for Innu and Indigenous people in Maliotenam, recently inaugurated its new facilities. An investment of $3.4M from the Government of Canada was required for the project.
The Government of Quebec announced an annual investment of $20M and the creation of 84 new positions with the establishment of a new system dedicated to supporting immigrantsConstruction Bon-Air announced the expansion of its facilities in Saint-Félicien and Chibougamau as well as the construction of a new location in Alma. Investments totalling $2M are expected, which will create 30 jobs.The province of Quebec is looking to fill 32,000 health care attendant positions for its health network over the next five years
The Government of Quebec announced a $23.4M investment over four years in SCALE AI, an investment and innovation hub in the artificial intelligence sector, to help skills development in Quebec's workforceThe Government of Quebec is providing $4M to the Réserve faunique La Vérendrye to support improvements to its facilities starting in fall 2020. These projects will result in the creation of about 20 direct and indirect jobs.Dental offices in the Bas-Saint-Laurent, Gaspésie, and Côte-Nord regions are looking for dental hygienistsThe Ashley Furniture HomeStore locations in Laval, Saint-Jérôme, Saint-Hubert and Saint-Léonard are closing due to financial difficulties, a decision that affects 70 employees
Aluminerie Alouette in Sept-Îles received $15M from the Government of Canada's Strategic Innovation Fund. This amount will be used to modernize its facilities and retain nearly 830 jobs.
Strait Air, an airline based in Québec City, is suspending service to Basse-Côte-Nord, Wabush, and Anticosti Island due to a shortage of staff. Between 25 and 30 people are being laid off.The Government of Quebec announced an investment of $47M in the Director of Youth Protection (DYP) network to hire 382 professionals to reduce the number of people on waiting listsThe Government of Canada announced a $15M contribution to the Aluminerie Alouette in Sept-Îles as part of a broader investment program to support the steel and aluminum sectors and maintain 830 jobs
Terrapure Environmental, which has offices in Châteauguay and Sainte-Catherine, has purchased RSR Environnement, which has branches in Verchères, Anjou and Lac-Mégantic. The transaction will facilitate delivery of a range of integrated waste management services.The Délimax-Montpak group, a veal and lamb producer and processor in Saint-Hyacinthe, with plants in Saint-Germain-de-Grantham, Laval and Terrebonne, has acquired the Viandes Forget slaughterhouse in Terrebonne
The Government of Quebec announced an investment of $1.7B for the expansion and construction of elementary and secondary schools in Quebec. The government is expected to carry out 128 projects in 2019-2020 alone.The Sept-Îles Port Authority announced an investment of $20M, in partnership with the governments of Quebec and Canada, to modernize the Pointe-aux-Basques wharf facilitiesThe Government of Quebec announced an investment of $4.5M in Mgr-Blanche elementary school in Sept-Îles. The funds will be used to build a gymnasium and refurbish the premises.
The Government of Quebec announced funding of $17M to help cybersecurity companies develop projects that strengthen computer security in Quebec. The project is expected to create 400 jobs in five years.
The Government of Quebec announced a $70M investment in the school system to help students with physical or learning disabilities or adjustment problems by adding 850 extra teachers, professionals, and professional support resourcesGroupe TVA announced the elimination of 68 positions in its Quebec network following budget cutsLe Bavard et L'Ivrogne restaurant will open its doors in Sept-Îles on June 7, 2019. The number of jobs created is currently unknown.Boisaco, located in Sacré-Coeur, announced the end of its modernization work. An investment of $20M allowed the company to purchase stacking robots and modern equipment, and to redevelop a sawmill line, among other things.
The Government of Canada is investing more than $345M to modernize three key roadways in Greater Montréal. The project involves the extension of Autoroute 19, the renovation of the Pont Pie-IX bridge between Montréal and Laval, and the construction of a reserved lane.The Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC) will soon be opening three additional outlets in the province in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Granby and MontréalBureau en gros-Staples Canada, an office supply retailer, will be holding a one-day job fair on June 1 in all 305 of its stores across Canada. The company is looking to fill 1,000 positions in its stores and distribution centres.The Fonds régionaux de solidarité FTQ is investing more than $2.3M in Pêcheries M J M in Sept-Îles and Les Entreprises de pêche Éric Gallant in the municipality of Aguanish to promote their expansion in the crab fishing sector
L'Appui, a non-profit organization for caregivers, is investing $50M over three years to provide support across the province through its 17 affiliated organizationsPavex, a paving company in Saint-Félicien, has been awarded a $20M contract to repair the runway at the Kuujjuaq airport. The work will begin in the summer, and some 30 workers, including 10 from Kuujjuaq, will be involved.
Walmart Canada has announced an investment of $200M to renovate and refresh 31 stores across Canada. In Quebec, the three stores that will be renovated are located in Montréal (Décarie), Repentigny, and Saint-Jérôme.
Telecommunications company Bell Canada has laid off 76 technicians working on its residential wireless internet service in Quebec and OntarioGroupe Méridien Maritime will invest $17.6M in the construction of a hybrid factory ship prototype, creating 109 jobs at its Matane, Portneuf, and Longueuil facilities. About 40 positions will be added to the Matane shipyard.
Sherweb, specializing in the storage of cloud computing data for various companies, is looking to hire 100 people in its offices in Sherbrooke and Longueuil in order to support its growthLambert Peat Moss is investing $6M in Rivière-Ouelle in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region and in Longue-Rive in Côte-Nord to expand its bagging plant and improve productivity. Some 15 jobs, including 10 in Rivière-Ouelle, will be created over the coming year.The Government of Quebec, in collaboration with a number of community partners, is creating a network of digital culture development officers. This initiative will result in the creation of some 40 officer positions across the province.
The Government of Quebec will invest more than $564M over 2019-2021 in different road projects throughout the territory of the Côte-Nord regionAlternative Coup de Pouce, a daycare personnel replacement service, is looking for some 20 people to work in the Montérégie region and the West Island in MontréalJeans Factory, a clothing chain based in Warwick, is closing all of its shops in Quebec, laying off approximately 100 people
After having resorted to insolvency proceedings in 2018, Dans un Jardin, the Quebec chain of personal care product boutiques, will reopen 15 boutiques in Quebec thanks to intervention by Groupe Marie ClaireArmoires Cuisines Action, which serves residential and commercial markets, invested $8M to expand and modernize its Sainte-Sabine plant and develop showrooms in Montérégie and LavalThe CIUSSS de l'Estrie-CHUS is looking to fill 575 positions by summer. The open positions, which include but are not limited to service attendants, nurses, medical secretaries, and social workers, are posted on its website.The governments of Canada and Quebec have announced the start of construction work on a 14-kilometre section of road through the Highway 389 Improvement Program. The cost of this two-year project is estimated at nearly $27M.
Michel Miller First Nations Logistics in Baie-Comeau was awarded a $7M contract for the grinding of iron ore tailings. The work will be carried out in Schefferville and create at least 12 jobs.Canadian telecommunications company Telus has announced a $95M investment to expand its wireless and fibre optic networks in eastern Quebec and the Québec City region in 2019CN Rail has announced its intention to invest $245M to modernize its network in Quebec in 2019 through its capital investment program
The Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux de la Mauricie-et-du-Centre-du-Québec has about 20 pharmacist positions to be filled at the Hôpital du Centre-de-la-Mauricie in Shawinigan and at the Hôpital Hôtel-Dieu d'Arthabaska
The Government of Canada has announced $100M in funding to small and medium businesses in the steel and aluminum sectors. The funds will be used to buy new technology to improve productivity and competitiveness.Metro Rouillard in Pierreville has acquired the Metro store in Saint-Marc-des-Carrières. Management plans to hire new people.
The Government of Quebec has announced plans to modernize the Pie-IX Bridge between Montréal and Laval. Costing close to $199M, the project will start in late 2019 and end in the fall of 2022.The Rossy store in Sacré-Coeur was destroyed by fire. Its closure has resulted in the loss of about 10 jobs.Groupe G7, a multidisciplinary company based in Sept-Îles that specializes in commercial and industrial construction, has laid off about 100 employees indefinitelyThe Trois-Rivières/Bécancour job fair will take place on March 27 and 28, with over 1,700 job vacancies to fill. The Trois-Rivières industrial building will serve as the venue for the first day of the fair, followed by a virtual fair the next day.The Centres intégrés de santé et de services sociaux in Bas-Saint-Laurent, Gaspésie, and Côte-Nord have posted several job offers on their websites for psychologists to fill vacant positions
Bombardier Aerospace is investing a total of $22M over a three-year period in two major aerospace investment and innovation projects: Aero21 and the third phase of the SA²GE projectThe Government of Quebec has announced a $41.3M investment to support Quebec aerospace sector investment and innovation projectsTourism Eastern Townships will be exhibiting at the Salon Priorité-Emploi on March 15 and 16 at the Sherbrooke Exhibition Centre to offer over 1,000 full-time and part-time jobsThe CIUSSS MCQ is looking for about 100 people to fill administrative technician, administrative officer and medical secretary positions. Interested candidates must apply online no later than March 13.The Laurentian Bank has announced the elimination of 350 jobs in Quebec within the year after unveiling a plan to streamline certain administrative functions and support duties related to services for individuals
Bonduelle, a company that specializes in processing and conserving vegetables, has four plants in Montérégie and one in Montréal and has acquired Seneca in Lebanon, PA, in the United States, where fruits and vegetables are frozenHome Depot, a retailer in the home renovation sector, is launching a recruitment campaign to fill more than 5,500 jobs across CanadaAlouette, an aluminium production company in Sept-Îles, is investing $100M to modernize its 594 pots. The work will be completed in late 2020.Payless ShoeSource, a shoe retailer, has announced the closure of all of its stores across Canada after a failed attempt at restructuring. In Quebec, approximately 25 stores will close by late March.The Government of Quebec has announced the creation of 2,500 subsidized childcare spots over the next two years throughout the provinceTM Solution and AàZ Netmédia are teaming up to set up Prospecto, which will have offices in Victoriaville, Drummondville, Montréal and Québec City. They will be hiring.The Commission scolaire de l'Estuaire has announced a joint investment of close to $4.7M to rebuild the auditorium at Polyvalente des Rivières school in ForestvilleThe Government of Quebec has announced a $450M investment over two years for forestry work on public lands
The Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux de la Mauricie-et-du-Centre-du-Québec has launched an advertising campaign and a new platform for job offers to address recruitment issues in health care
The Goverment of Quebec has announced a funding of $70M to $90M over the next two years used for detecting developmental delays among children. The hiring of 800 health professionals and administrative staff is planned.
Alimplus, a Quebec food product distributor, has acquired AOF service alimentaire based in Drummondville, which operates in the same field as its buyer
The Port-Cartier branch of the CIBC will close next August. Employees affected by the layoff will have the option of relocating to the Sept-Îles banking centre.Hydro-Québec has announced the start of work valued at $114M on a power transmission line from Natashquan to the village of Romaine. Connection to the system is planned for the spring of 2020.The Government of Canada has announced $6.4M in financial support for the City of Baie-Comeau to complete work on its airport, including runway grading and resurfacing
Bijoux Caroline Néron, a Quebec chain of jewellery stores, is filing for bankruptcy protection and closing 9 of its 14 stores. In all, 64 workers are affected, including positions at the Montréal head office.Lowe's, the hardware retailer and owner of RONA and Réno-Dépôt, is currently seeking to fill 1,950 seasonal positions in Quebec. Applicants are being sought in a number of departments for spring 2019.
Engineering firm SNC-Lavalin has announced the elimination of 100 positions across its Canadian network as a result of project completionsLa Cage - Brasserie Sportive in Sept-Îles will be closing and relocating. Some 50 employees will be temporarily laid off. The sports bar is expected to reopen in April 2019.
The KFC restaurant in Sept-Îles closed its doors on November 30, 2018. The number of people laid off was not specified.The Centre intégré de santé et de services sociaux (CISSS) of Côte-Nord is launching a recruitment campaign on a microsite. The organization currently has 338 positions to fill.The Government of Canada, the Province of Quebec and private sector partners have announced an investment of nearly $290M to support AI-driven supply chains and the SCALE.AI supercluster
Québec company Dans un Jardin has announced the closing of its boutiques by January 2019 after placing itself under the protection of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. The number of employees that will be affected by the closures is unknown.
Bombardier has announced a restructuration to eliminate 2,500 Quebec-based jobs in its aerospace division. Layoffs will be completed by 2021.
Bell Canada is eliminating 700 senior management positions across the country following a restructuring of its management unit
Labour Market Bulletins
Sectoral Profiles provide an overview of recent labour market developments and outlooks for some of the key industries in various regions of the country.
- Accommodation and Food Services | (PDF, 273 KB)
- Agriculture: farm crops, livestock and aquaculture | (PDF, 250 KB)
- Chemical Manufacturing | (PDF, 261 KB)
- Clothing Manufacturing, Leather and Allied Products | (PDF, 250 KB)
- Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing | (PDF, 255 KB)
- Construction | (PDF, 264 KB)
- Education Services | (PDF, 255 KB)
- Electrical Equipment, Appliance and Component Manufacturing | (PDF, 259 KB)
- Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing | (PDF, 261 KB)
- Finance and Insurance, Real Estate and Rental and Leasing | (PDF, 266 KB)
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Products Manufacturing | (PDF, 276 KB)
- Forestry and Logging | (PDF, 256 KB)
- Furniture and Related Product Manufacturing | (PDF, 260 KB)
- Health Care and Social Assistance | (PDF, 260 KB)
- Information, Cultural, Arts, Entertainment and Recreation Industry | (PDF, 260 KB)
- Mining, Quarry Operations and Oil and Gas Extraction | (PDF, 260 KB)
- Machinery Manufacturing | (PDF, 259 KB)
- Management of Companies and Enterprises Administrative and Support Services, Waste Management and Remediation Services | (PDF, 261 KB)
- Mining, Quarry Operations and Oil and Gas Extraction | (PDF, 260 KB)
- Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing | (PDF, 252 KB)
- Paper Manufacturing | (PDF, 276 KB)
- Plastics and Rubber Products Manufacturing | (PDF, 263 KB)
- Primary Metal Manufacturing | (PDF, 269 KB)
- Printing and Related Support Activities | (PDF, 272 KB)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services | (PDF, 269 KB)
- Public Administrations | (PDF, 254 KB)
- Retail Trade | (PDF, 267 KB)
- Textile Mills, Textile Product Mills | (PDF, 257 KB)
- Transportation and Warehousing | (PDF, 275 KB)
- Transportation Equipment Manufacturing | (PDF, 278 KB)
- Utilities | (PDF, 257 KB)
- Wholesale Trade | (PDF, 257 KB)
- Wood Product Manufacturing | (PDF, 262 KB)